07 November 2018

Three marathons in three days for three charities

Rennie Grove Hospice Care Children’s Hospice at Home nurse Francesca Lennon, is about to take on the epic Druid’s Challenge by running more than a marathon each day for three days (9-11 November).

 Francesca Lennon

The Druid’s Challenge is an 84 mile race over taking place over three days along the Ridgeway, the oldest roadway in the UK.

Francesca said, “A three day race seemed like the perfect opportunity to raise money and awareness for three charities very close to my heart.

“On day one I will be running 29.3 miles for Rennie Grove Hospice Care.  Rennie Grove provides care and support for adults and children diagnosed with life limiting and life threatening illness and their families. This charity came in to my life two years ago when its absolutely incredible nurses cared my gran when she was dying. The difference they made to us as family and how supported we felt in looking after her at home was huge. I now feel so lucky to have joined Rennie Grove’s Children's Team as a Children's Hospice at Home nurse. As a nurse, being able to provide the level of support we are able to and having the time to care is just part of what makes Rennie Grove so special. We wouldn’t be able to do our jobs without the exceptionally dedicated team surrounding us, from Fundraising and Communication to our amazing Family Support Service and Complementary Therapy...to name a few, not to mention over 1500 volunteers, all going above and beyond to enable patients and their families to receive the best care possible. The charity receives only 13% of its funding from the NHS and has to raise the other 87% of the £7.6 million annual running costs – a huge amount.”

On the second and third days Francesca will be running an additional 26.6 and 28.3 miles respectively raising funds for the Maytree – the charity that supports people in suicidal crisis and The Patrick Evans Foundation that was set up in memory of Patrick Evans who died in a skiing accident aged just 21. The Foundation raises money for specific projects and local organisations.

“Any donations would be so appreciated but I also hope that reading about the amazing work these charities do reminds every one of the importance of love and life”, Francesca adds.

Andrea Lambert, Head of Children’s Services at Rennie Grove said, “On behalf of everyone here at Rennie Grove I want to congratulate and thank Francesca for taking on this incredible challenge.  The whole charity will be rooting for her and we are very confident that she will succeed in this epic endurance event.”

To support Francesca please visit www.virginmoneygiving.com/francescadruidschallenge and to find out more about the work of Rennie Grove Hospice Care go to www.renniegrove.org.